HERE COME THE AWARDS!
GANAHL- HANLEY LOG CABIN
This corner was the site of Edmonds' original City Hall, built in 1902. in 1975 the log cabin was moved here from North Edmonds. Resembling housing of an earlier era, it was built ca. 1931 for Gaston Ganahl and later owned by the Lee Hanley family.
Placed on the Washington Heritage Register, October 1999
This marker placed here September 2001 by the Edmonds-South Snohomish County Historical Society
Log Cabin Project Heaped With Awards!
After narrowly escaping the wrecking ball, the Ganahl-Hanley Log Cabin, recently restored in downtown Edmonds, has received four major state and county awards.
The Washington Museum Association, consisting of all the state museums, on June 14th will present the Save Our Cabin Committee and the Edmonds-South Snohomish Historical Society with its prestigious Award of Excellence for outstanding achievement as an historic preservation project, "a well deserved award!" according to Lisa Hill-Festa, WMA Awards and Scholarship Committee Chair.
Also on the state level, the cabin project received the David Douglas Fellowship Award on June 2 from the Washington State Historical Society. This award is given to a person or group of individuals, who have made significant contributions to Washington State or local History in a history related project during the previous year. Botanist David Douglas Made his first of many scientific journeys to the Oregon Territory in 1823 and subsequently identified hundreds of new animal and plant species along the way, including the Douglas fir. The association, though coincidental, has not been lost by the Committee: the cabin was constructed and restore with Douglas fir trees.
In January, the Cabin project was the first ever recipient of the Snohomish Country Historical Preservation Award. It was also runner up for the Mahlstrom award presented by The League of Snohomish County Heritage Organizations.
The purpose of the SAVE OUR CABIN COMMITTEE, was multi-faceted. The Edmonds Bicentennial Pioneer Log Cabin, located t 120-5th Ave. S next door to the Edmonds Historical Museum, was in such disrepair that it was due to be condemned. The City of Edmonds, current owner of the Cabin, refused to repair or maintain the building, so the Committee Gathered over $103,000 in donated funds and services to restore it to its original state and to monitor the reconstruction process for the quality and authenticity. The Committee also thoroughly researched the history of the Cabin and successfully got it placed on the Washington Heritage Registry, appropriately renaming it the Ganah-Hanley Log Cabin after the two previous owners. One of the Society's concerns is that all over the country historical artifacts are being destroyed by neglect or indifference. It feels this project is an example where a small group overcame both with its grassroots efforts--indeed, the Cabin is both a teaching tool and an exhibit unto itself. As stated by the committee chair, Mary Jo Hanley Healy, "It will continue to be a resource for the education and enjoyment of the future generations for many years to come."
Here Comes Bridget! Cabin Restoration The Big Move Cabin Dedication Hanley Photos Cabin Photos Cabin History Here Come The Awards! Cabin Store Fans of HCTB Cabin Kickoff HCTB Donors Bronwen Play Edmonds Log Cabin Cabin Visit Edmonds Museum