Special thanks to #1Payday.Loans

Photo card used with permission 
from the artist Brian Hankhett 
The Edmonds Paper (1998), 
and The Save Our Cabin Committee.

Cabin Restoration



Monday, July 24, 2000

My son, Mike, who's tree service does most of the city's work, took down the selected trees. There is still much discussion about the double trunked cedar that is going to have its roots destroyed, but the City still hasn't agreed to take it down. The fencing was delivered and put up. I called the electric company and the gas company to be sure that the utilities are disconnected. Sandy Chase, the city Clerk, and I cut a lot of the remaining flowers before the backhoe was delivered and dug up the front lawn. I was able to remove a huge old stump and clear out a lot of the foliage, but also broke  the water line for the sprinkler system, which got shut off along with the water to the Museum. 

Tuesday, July 25, 2000

The City said to take the tree down. Moe spent a couple of hours working out utility details with the City. They also worked on the water most of the day. Bill worked all day with the backhoe. One of the trees was replanted against the back of the neighbor's fence, since they will be losing their shade trees. We will water them and hope they'll make it. Norma Bruns has gotten some information and catalogs from the Museum Director Joni Sein, and is working with Mary Jo Hanley Healy on the plaques that are planned for the Cabin. 

Wednesday, July 26, 2000

My husband, A.P., spent about an hour today taking down the electrical boxes from the north side of the Cabin. I got hold of Doug Usitalo of Puget Sound Energy. There are no records of a gas line to the Cabin, but it really is there and it is "live". Doug  thinks it must be connected to the Museum gas, since it isn't platted anywhere. I told him that we needed our gas and it could not be turned off, but we can't work with the backhoe with it the way it is. Emergency service will be ordered for Thursday or Friday. Digging can continue, but in the are of the gas line it must be done by hand. The deadline is this week because the truck comes in on Monday to lift the Cabin up six feet into the air. Fran Gray and I hung up our old 20 foot long "Save Our Cabin" street banner on the fence around the construction. We added ten small posters saying "Thank you, Donors!" and another medium sign identifying the work as that of the Edmonds-South Snohomish Historical Society. 

Thursday, August 3, 2000

Bill finished digging out the dirt for he foundation-thankfully no incidents. John came by to check things out for lifting up the Cabin and the concrete man also came by for an inspection in preparation for his work. 

Friday, August 4, 2000

No work. The City didn't like the way the fence was put up so they have put a "Stop work until approved" notice up. 

Monday, August 7, 2000

The fence was approved by Jim Roberts. No work was done due to scheduling. The City called on Thursday and asked that we not work during the "Taste of Edmonds".  Bill is scheduled to finish digging out by the chimney on Monday and John should be moving in just afterwards to life the Cabin. Jack hall watered down the dirt on Monday to prevent dust from blowing. He went down to inspect everything on Friday to see that all was tidy for the 100,000+ people who will be here this weekend for the "Taste".

Monday, August 14, 2000

No work today. Mostly we're waiting for another opening in John's schedule. John is the one who will be lifting up the cabin.

Tuesday, August 15, 2000

The last of the digging was done today. 

Wednesday, August 16, 2000

The steel beams were delivered by John's crew today and all were put into place to lift the cabin up. A.P. talked with Moe about structural decision on the placement of the new logs. There are a number of strong options, but we want to retain as much of the original logs a possible. We had a "Save Our Cabin" meeting at 11:00.

Thursday, August 17, 2000

The cabin is up. I didn't think it was suppose to happen until Friday, but the Museum Director Joni, called and said she went across the street to mail a letter, and there is was up in the air 6 feet. She called and said that Jack hall and Moe were sitting under it like two little boys playing in a fort! Unfortunately, no camera was available. 

Friday, August 18, 2000

Sean worked all day in the rain doing the final diggings. The foundation forms will be delivered tonight so they will be ready on Monday. 

Monday, August 21, 2000 and Tuesday, August 22, 2000

No work today.

Wednesday, August 23, 2000

Built concrete footing forms and placed rebar into the forms. Moe and I visited at the Museum about the stone skirt. The grading will be about 6" higher at the back of the building than at the front. We decided on a 21" skirt for the front, allowing for three 7" steps at the front door. The back will have what is called pumis brick from the foundation lid for the 6" that will be underground, which is cheaper, followed by the stone facing for the top 15". Moe got the revised permit for the minor changes involved. We also discussed the front steps after receiving a wonderfully detailed picture from Bridget via Mary Jo. We will make them as close to the originals as possible, but the Chamber may end up putting carpet on them again. We'll try to figure out a way to keep them from getting slippery and still be historically accurate (without needing carpet.) We're also talking about hand rails. 

Thursday, August 24, 2000

No work today.

Friday, August 25, 2000

The inspector approved the rebar placement for the footings and the concrete was put into the forms. When that cures the foundation walls can be built. 

Monday, August 28, 2000

Concrete curing. 

Tuesday, August 29, 2000

Forms were built for the foundation walls.

Wednesday, August 30, 2000

The City Inspector wouldn't approve the foundation walls because he didn't have the blue prints. 

Thursday, August 31, 2000

The foundation walls were signed off today by the Inspector. 

Friday, September 1, 2000

The concrete was poured this afternoon for the foundation walls. They will cure until next week. Everything will have a final review on Wednesday and the cabin should be lowered onto the walls next Thursday. 

Monday, September 11, 2000

Moe took the bottom "half" log that had been added after the Cabin was moved to the City. He also nailed up the straps from the foundation. Duane Landsver, a contractor/neighbor has offered to help with the gutters. He has some books on old gutter, and the ones on the cabin are not old. They are actually wooden, but very modern. I did some research of my own and looked at all 140+ of our old cabin pictures. There are no gutters in any of them, so I called Mary Jo and asked her to talk with her family about it. If we use metal gutters, Duane can make them for $1.50/foot, totaling about $200.00 plus tax which is a lot less than $2,117.70. Mary Jo said that the family felt the metal gutters would be prudent. It is my opinion that if we want to put on vintage style gutters in the future, we can still do so without a large loss on our present investment. 

Tuesday, September 12, 2000

Bill came in and excavated around the cabin, making it level once again. In the process broke another pipe on the north side-this one was a really rusty one to the Museum. Scott Rogers from the Parks Department came and it was repaired. 

Wednesday, September 13, 2000

The cement was poured today to fill in under the chimney and fireplace. They used a vibrator to make sure that the material went in without any air holes. Some water came up through the basement floor of the museum about 5' inside the North wall over the weekend. At first it was thought that it was from the cabin, but it didn't come through the wall, it came through the floor. Unfortunately, all the buildings in the "bowl" of Edmonds sit on glacial residue and as far as I have been told, all of them leak if they have a basement. The silk cloth hadn't been put around the Cabin after Bill re-excavated, but since the dirt went down toward the cabin the big rain we had was shed away from the Museum, not toward it. 

Thursday, September 14, 2000

Moe found out the logs that had been set aside for us were sold to someone else! Anyway, he found other ones and delivered them to the sight. He also installed the black silk cloth the site. 

Friday, September 15, 2000

The timber was removed from the concrete structure under the fireplace. 

Tuesday, September 5, 2000

The forms came off of the foundation walls today. 

Wednesday, September 6, 2000

Moe reported at our meeting about the previously unknown cost of the floor and the steps. We are now $5,348 short. We're still hustling though. Moe worked on getting the foundation walls capped for tomorrow's lowering of the cabin. 

Thursday, September 7, 2000

The cabin is down. They even let me run the motor for part of it. It took a couple of hours to do as the props must be removed one layer at a time and more props need to go under the chimney. The weight of the Cabin on the jacks was 53,000 pounds. Not that's a bit of trivia that you've all been waiting for! They're doing an excellent job!

Friday, September 8, 2000

Bill was due back to push some dirt around the back side of the cabin today. 

Moe got the City squared away about the silt cloth. He also removed and replaced the first two logs of the 19 or so that will be done.

Wednesday, September 20, 2000

Two more logs were removed and replaced today. All of you should come down and watch Moe do this. It's really a sight to see!

Thursday, September 21, 2000

Two more logs were worked today. Also, Robert Oliver and Jack Hall dug up the power line and put conduit on it. They brought it up to the cabin for future reinstallation. Roger had gotten the electrical permits required for the job. Thanks guys. 

Friday, September 22, 2000

One more log was done today for a total of seven logs this week. This one was one of the high ones on the South side. 

Monday, September 25, 2000

Hired a roofer. 

Tuesday, September 26, 2000

Moe went out and picked up more logs.

Wednesday, September 27, 2000

We had our meeting. Moe worked on the logs. He's doing a beautiful job!

Thursday, September 28, Friday, September 29, Saturday, September 30, 2000

Worked on logs.

Monday, October 2, 2000

Ripped out the carpet and worked on logs.

Tuesday, October 3, 2000

Worked on logs. It looks great!

Wednesday, October 4, 2000

Went out to get the last two large logs

Thursday, October 5, 2000

Worked on logs. Talked to two stone masons, picked out stones. The color is right, but the brightness is wrong. There's still some time, so I'll keep pounding the pavement.  Roger repaired the sub-flooring of the NW corner of the main room. Jack has been working on pealing a curved log that may be used for the front stair banister. 

Friday, October 6, 2000

Put in last log! The shakes for the roof, the flooring and the insulation were delivered. They are being stored in the cabin. 

Saturday, October 7, 2000

The east side of the large roof was removed and the new one put on. The logs were "corn-blasted" and they look fabulous! The Bora-Care treatment was put on the new clean logs. The solution has to soak in for a couple of days. It was a treat for the people attending a meeting at the Museum this morning. 

Sunday, October 8, 2000

Cal and John removed the west side of the large roof and put on the new shingles/insulation. The color "Bronze", which is a dark gray-brown was picked for the gutters and down-spouts. They are scheduled for installation next week. 

Monday, October 9, 200

Hard rain-no work. Picked out Parker's Maraton Cardinal Red for the trim color.

Tuesday, October 10, 2000

The water proofing was put on the logs. The grounds were cleaned up and raked out. 

Wednesday, October 11, 2000

The interior flooring was begun. 

Thursday, October 12, 2000

Paid all current and completed billing. The interior flooring was finished. I found a better stone called "Mossy Flat" from Lakeview Stone & Garden, but they can't deliver it until Oct. 20th. Moe approved. The electrical questions were worked out between the May, Jack and Roger. Moe spoke with Richard from the Parks Department telling him that he needed to have the sidewalk to the front door poured before the front steps are installed. 

Friday, October 13, 2000

Confirmed the stone and scheduling with Matt Oppliger of Matt's Masonry. It's hunting season, so no work to be done until Tuesday, unless Cal and John finish the little roof.

Tuesday, October 17, 2000

Most of the new interior log facings were stained and the mathc is almost perfect. The remainder will be done after the working materials are removed from inside the cabin. Moe and his nephew Mark Lagerstrom started the chinking.

Wednesday, October 18, 2000

It was decided to stain the new floor to match the floor in the loft. It is darker than we might have picked, but the cholice is restored authenticity, not individual taste. We had our meeting today, and though it will be close, it looks like we will indeed finish on schedule. Chinking work still continuing. A gathering of the Chamber of Commerece was held at the Museum in the evening. Shari, the Chamber director said that she could pass out 30 "Grand Opening" party posters at the Chamber luncheon next Thursday.

Thursday, October 19, 2000

Cal Bonner and John Birchard worked on the east side of the little north roof and gable. Jack and Roget hauled off the debris to make room for the rock, which will be delivered on Friday. MOe and Mark are still working on the chinking. "Grand Opening" part posters were printed and matted. The electricity was hooked up.

Friday, October 20, 2000

Found out from Bryce Wagner that staining the Douglas Fir flooring would end up splotchy and ugly, and that the loft floor got that way through natural aging. So, as with the exerior logs, the floor will be allowed to do its thing with "time" determining the color factor. He sanded the floor and put on the first coat of sealer which needs to sit for a couple of days. The stone was delivered and Matt Began working on the stone facing over the foundation. Cal finished up the east side of the north roof. Just one more section to go along with the front porch overhang. 'Tis a very busy place.

Saturday, October 21, 2000

Moe and Mark worked on the chinking. Bryce put on the final coat of finish on the interior floor. After discussing the window boxes, we got the inserts, the hanger hardware, and most of the plants and bulbs.   

Sunday, October 22, 2000

Cal and John put on the west side of the north roof. All done!

Monday, October 23, 2000

Mark and Moe continued working on the chinking and Matt on the stone work (theyíve nicknamed him the "rock star"). The painter primed the exterior.

Tuesday, October 24, 2000

Nancy Blakemore and I worked on the interior, which was unbelievably filthy. Huge quantities of rodent droppings, boxes and boxes of stuff and debris left by the Chamber, and everything covered with "corn blasting" grit, sawdust, cobwebs, and just plain grime from the last 25 years. We cleared, cleaned, vacuumed, and oiled the upstairs and the kitchen. The City dropped one more bombóthe steps and the front porch overhang. I canít believe it!!! Moe and Mark are diligently working on the chinking (very tedious) and Matt on the stone work (beautiful). Dwane was supposed to put on the gutters, but hasnít come. The City was supposed to form the sidewalk, but didnít, and the painter/stainer didnít show. Still, a very busy place. Much later, I studied the Washington State Historic Building Code manual, slept little and fumed.

Wednesday, October 25, 2000

I worked on the cleaning and oiling the logs in the living room and the stairway. Mark and Matt were still at it with the chinking and stone work. The painter finished all the staining and painting except the door, which he will do on Thursday. I showed Moe about 15 findings from the Historic Building Code manual, which he took over to the City. They didnít even have a copy and made copies from mine! They also demanded "proof" that we were on the State Historical Registry, which I faxed to Moe. They just donít get it! Anyway, I think we may get our log steps yet. 

Thursday, October 26, 2000

Royce put the last coat of finish on the beautiful new floor. Matt, Mark and Moe busy. I canít get in to finish the interior for at least two days because of the floor. The Chamber had a luncheon today and passed out posters and pamphlets to all the members for the grand opening on Nov. 18th.

Friday, October 27, 2000

Matt, Mark and Moe are still at it. Matt will finish today. The stone work is just fabulous! The City seems to not be able to "find" the registry stuff as well as the blow up pictures of the steps, so they didnít get to the right person. I took more copies down to Moe and also gave the curtains to the Chamber. Now the City is saying that they will put the forms for the sidewalk in on Monday. Carl finished all the trim paint. Moe bought pizza for the crew. Norma and I revamped the slide show for the Alderwood Historical Society meeting tomorrow, including the new slides of the restoration. Then we went to Cascade Trophy and ordered the donorís plaque. 


September 28, 2000


The Little Log Cabin With A Soul has been restored and was dedicated on Saturday, November 18, 2000.  At that time a plaque was permanently placed inside the Cabin honoring "Patti Wilkins and fans of Here Come The Brides" for raising over $5,000 through the Save Our Cabin Store. 

Here Comes Bridget! Cabin Restoration 
The Big Move Cabin Dedication
Hanley Photos Cabin Photos
Cabin History Here Come The Awards!
Cabin Store Fans of HCTB
Cabin Kickoff HCTB Donors
Bronwen Play Edmonds Log Cabin
Cabin Visit Edmonds Museum

© 1997-2023 Bridget Hanley